The Spiraling Homestead

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Using Supermarket Waste To Compost

5/7/08 Well, I'm back with an update. I went to my local grocery - the one I am confident I could get to daily, if necessary. I spoke with the produce manager and others before me have ruined it for the rest of us. They used to give to a pig farmer, who tried to steal good produce by hiding it under the stock loss as he hauled it away.

I was amazed, stunned, taken aback. It remains amazing what people are willing to do when given some well meant assistance.

So, I moved on to plan B. I went online to my local freecycle and barter groups. Asked if anyone knew of or were a lawn service business who paid dumping fees at the county dump to get rid of the yard waste. If they were, they are more than welcome to dump the clippings and such here for me to compost. I have a 5 bin system set up now, and can expand, if needed. Thus far, 2 have contacted me. Here's hoping!

3/14/08
A Study on average back yard composting of both waste produce and wax coated cardboard successfully
http://www.cwc.org/organics/org935fs.pdf

PA farmer working with Wegmans
http://www.newfarm.org/depts/talking_shop/0304/pasa.shtml

Wasted Food.com
http://www.wastedfood.com/2007/03/

What is bringing this little ditty about is a project I am hoping to take on this year. Ha! We'll see.

I have a small grocery store not a half-mile from my home. I am hoping to convince the manager to give me the compostable waste from the store. I'm planning on taking it home, chopping it up (designing a chopper) and having multiple series of bins to do hold the compost.

It'll be a full year process from start to finished product. It'll be hot compost piles during the summer, and then all will be collected into a single large pile for cold composting over the winter.

Hopefully my brother is working on the design for the chopper as we had agreed, resulting in his wife getting half of all compost I make for her greenhouse/flower biz.

I'm thinking sort of a nut chopper deal that could basically be inserted in a 5-gallon pail. Fully manual - I want this to be as green as I can make it.

I know I can't label this as organic compost. But since I'm not selling it, I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am having stuff needlessly end up in the landfill.

If I'm successful, I'll work on helping others set up similar composting bins to use in conjunction with their local grocery.

L

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home