The Spiraling Homestead

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Summer Harvest

Ahh, the joys of summer. It's harvest time! Woo! LOL While I love it, it does make for an exhausting day, week, month.

Today, I harvested my dill. I have 2 pint bags full of dill leaves that are going in the freezer. I'll put the heads out in areas I want it to volunteer for next year, since I have enough bloom heads for my pickles awaiting me in the fridge.

I also harvested beans. The first planting of wax beans will now go to shell. I suppose my green ones will too, since the second planting of both are just starting to come on. I have enough in the freezer for the next full year, but we like them fresh, and I like to give them away, so I'll pick them for awhile before letting them go to shell too. Basically, "going to shell" is letting them grow as big as possible and the shell gets dry and leather. Then, you pick them and shell them and either freeze or can. They are far superior to kidney beans for chili or soups.

I harvested spinach. My spinach didn't do much this year. I hate spinach. LOL But, we've had several meals and tonight's will be as a salad. None to freeze, but I'll live.

And bell peppers. Those will turn into stuffed peppers and frozen to be cooked at a later date.

Onions - I've pulled them, but am letting them dry in the garden some before I bring them in. I planted them mainly for bread and butter pickles, but will keep some for use throughout the winter. I'm not an onion lover, so these would last me a year. However, they won't last for Mom. She uses a LOT of onions.

My tomatoes got ripped out on Monday - Late Blight nailed them. Very sad and frustrating, but it doesn't hit the entire garden, so I just can't argue. And in all honesty, I can't argue too much about the tomatoes. I was actually dreading dealing with them this year. I enjoy canning them, but it does take a lot of time and that's something I tend to have in short supply. And while I LOVE home grown tomatoes, I'll live without them for a year. It'll just make next year's that much better!

Within the next few days will be another 4 pints of beets. They come on about every 10 days, so it's pretty easy to plan around them.

I have coriander galore since I never harvested it as cilantro. I may do a very small bag of leaves, but may not too. I think I'll harvest the seed and see if anyone wants any. Just because I can!

So, with all of that done, I shouldn't need to deal with the garden again for another 3 days, which means I'll be able to focus on the flower beds, 2 of which are in serious need. 1, Mom wants replanted entirely, and another needs weeding.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home