The Spiraling Homestead

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Updates From Leslie

If folks haven't noticed, I try to keep my blogs (I have several, but this is the only active one at the moment) more like an information site. I try to site my sources. I try to maintain a professional tone. I try not to let myself become an Op Ed writer, but it will and does come out if I'm outraged enough. Mostly, I try to offer solutions, rather than just cry and bemoan all of the problems in the world.

12/20 - I'm seriously considering starting a series called "save the world". So many things, so little effort!
Save the world - stop taking Prilosec! (or other H2 inhibitor)
That sort of thing.
comments? Ideas? Bring 'em on!
12/15
I don't think I can take much more holiday cheer. LOL With a storm barreling toward us, I shampooed the livingroom carpet. Seemed like the thing to do. By shampooing it, it lasts longer, staying out of the landfill longer, and I transfer yet more of the bad chemicals from inside my home to the sewage treatment plant, and thus the river. Such is life.

My absence here means my efforts were turned yet again toward Katrina Survivors. It's been 2 1/2 years and still hardship, turmoil, disaster remains. I have several sites established to assist both individuals and agencies during the recovery efforts, which are supposed to be finished in another 8 years.

Since Thanksgiving, I have sent down (with the help of several family members and friends), 21 boxes of Christmas to families who have slipped through the cracks/chasms of organized relief efforts. 1 has a son who was lost 22 days after the storm, still suffering from severe PTSD. His psych bills keep them below poverty levels. Another has a daughter dying in need of a kidney transplant, due to some unknown viral infection afflicting others in the region. Yet another was shafted by a roofer, only to find out in recent rains all of their rebuilding efforts were ruined by a bad roof. Each is heartbreaking. But each is inspiring as well. They've made it so far on so little and ask only that their children have Christmas for the first time since The Storm.

So - I help as I am able.

This year was far less than last. I wasn't able to get out and hang posters. My vertigo just too substantial. Most churches ignore the plea for assisting one family, even with my promise of postage. I've not heard back from a single church that I mailed letters to in the last week of November. BUT:
family and friends have come through in ways I never thought possible. Our efforst are listed on my main blog - http://www.katrinanetworking.blogspot.com/

The efforts haven't been so green. I've been able to utilize reused items (clothes) to a large extent, have spread magazines (which are in VERY short supply, give something to look forward to every month of the year, increase the childrens grades substantially and are good for the entire family) far and wide to large families. But, because cost of living, the stress of shopping, and travel time being so prohibitive, much was shipped. I was able to buy more and still ship than send gift cards to the families. Sad, but true. So, much petrol was used.

To me, I guess there are just times when green must take a side seat to the emotions of children. I tried to supply few games, NO electronics, simple but needed items to help. Electronics just end up costing the families more, so I won't do that. They can barely pay utility bills. Why add to their burden?

There is still time to help if you want. Yes, I'm pushing! Gift cards can be sent online - so the families get them before Christmas. Groceries for a Christmas dinner would be wonderful! Winn-Dixie, Wal-Mart, Kroger are all quite common. If you would like to help, even at this late time, please email me at KatrinaCoalition@aol.com. I will direct you as best I am able.

So, please accept my apologies for being so delinquent here. I'm dead on my feet for many reasons, with the weather adding to the burden. I will post as soon as I am able.
Leslie

11/11 - Wow - who knew I'd keep up as well as I have so far? Life remains insane.
I just finished the second of 3 curtains for the quilt shed. These are different for a few reasons:
I'm using/reusing upholstery fabric to make them, making them fairly heavy.
Am sewing a solar curtain into each one, between the lining and the actual curtain. They're very crinkly, but I think they'll really help with keeping temps constant in the shed.
I pieced them together so each fabric is a diamond shape. I'll get pictures up soon to explain better.

I ordered another 500 sq' roll of bubble/foil insulation. Now that we've had a real test of the work I've done insulating the house thus far, it's time to do some more. I am completely amazed. I still don't know how much we're saving. Am hoping to know that this bill. But we can keep the heat turned lower and it's both warmer and warmer feeling. Mom's in a T-shirt, I'm in shorts, and Dad has only 1 sweatshirt on. LOL - AND, I've barely used the woodstove.
When I first moved back, I had a hot fire going any time the weather was 40 or lower. Today, it didn't reach 40 until 2PM, and yet no fire. The house is actually heating up with the sun shining.

So, once I finish the solar panel for the quilt shed, I'll be doing 3 major insulating jobs on the house. One in the office - that'll be a bear. Drop ceiling with maybe an R3. Adding the foil will triple the R value plus re-radiate the heat back into the house. Then, get into another crawl space and foil that. And finally get into the mother of the crawl spaces and hopefully spread the fiberglass more equitably as well as foil over the entire roofline. I'll definitely take pictures of that. It's not going to be fun.

But to me, if you have are R6 or more behind current standards and you have the room, it'll more than pay for itself to insulate. I know right now the thinking is R8 or more. But the way prices are now for heating, R6.

I also bought some programmable stats to put in. We have a 2-zone house. But, I want to see what the savings will be with just this much insulation prior to putting the stats in. Just because.

So - let me know what you've done to make your house more efficient.

11/1 It's only been a week! You can tell I'm on vacation. LOL I have time to think AND write.
Here's a theory I may expand at some later date...
Anyone who has studied physiology knows that mammals produce carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is actually a byproduct of acid reduction at the cellular level. You breathe it out. But, if you produce too much, your kidneys kick in and you pee it out. They have to because the blood becomes too acidic for anything (like oxygen) to flow through the blood the way it's supposed.
If you think of the world as living organism similar to a human, you start to understand how the earth is coping with the carbon dioxide that is being produced at record levels.
Now, with reports of the oceans being saturated with as much carbon dioxide as they can absorb, levels will begin to rise in the atmosphere.
And with the earth having no where else to "put" this carbon dioxide, we'll either see a new kind of acid rain, where the CO2 comes down with the H2O, or levels continuing to rise in the atmosphere.
And - when someone suffocates - it isn't from lack of oxygen. We use very little of it with every respiration. It's from the acidosis of too much CO2 being breathed in over and over.
So - it's time to turn off all of those combustion engines.
Just like the town that ran out of water in TN and only has enough for 3 hours a day, we need to stop using all CO2 producing products. Combustion engines (cars, mowers, power plants).
We saw a difference in air quality and temperature just by the halting of air traffic after 9/11 - a matter of a few days with just 1 parameter removed. Imagine what we could change if we removed something else every day.

10/24
Wow - didn't know it had been a full month. Woof. Nothing like life to distract!
The building project is complete! Woo - go to http://www.fullcirclequilting.blogspot.com/ for pictures. I still have to finish putting pics up there, but you get the idea...

Our electric consumption has gone way down in the last few months. I'm not quite sure why.
Our AC use has actually gone up for health reasons. And nothing else has really changed. So I am truly befuddled.

The only thing I can think is that we might use the AC more frequently, but for less time per day. I bought some "solar curtains" and put them on all of our south facing windows. I've also added radiant barrier insulation to key areas of the roof line. So rather than turning the AC on at 11 AM, which we did last year (a cooler year), we could wait until 1 PM. and turn it off earlier in the evening, rather than keeping it on until we went to bed.

I've also changed the way laundry is done, but it's been that way for about 7 months now, so I would think I would have seen this drastic of a change far sooner. But, we don't do laundry every Monday, whether they are full loads or not. We wait until there is a full load of darks, a full load of whites, etc. That makes laundry occur 3 days in a row, but no one load has to be run for 8-10 days. And yes, our dryer is electric.

I'm getting ready to buy a new dryer - this one is probably 20 years old. I'm also going to put a shunt on it so that in the winter, we can throw the heat and humidity used and paid for from the dryer into the house. And by doing laundry the way I am now, this will add a nice slug of moisture and heat to an area of the house that is at the end of the furnace's run, being the coolest.

Have also found out that the entire roofline was never insulated. Talk about shock, disappointment and amazement! Crap.

So, right now, about 40% of the roof line is as insulated as I can get it without ripping ceilings out. That's next summer. After my mini vacation next week, I plan on getting another 10-30% insulated, depending on access.

And with heating bills going up 10-50% this winter (depending on how you heat), it's going to be incredibly important to get this insulating done.

Have been building a solar heater for the construction job in the back yard. I'm still not finished with that and keep hoping "tomorrow" is the day I can focus on it. I only have about 1 more day of work and it's complete. Wish me luck!
Leslie

9/24
Well, almost done with our current building project. I am quite tickled with the whole thing.
We bought the building prefab - 12x24. Bought used windows at an auction for $50 ea, will be selling the "left overs" at another auction in a week.
Bought scrap carpeting at another auction, only have to piece a wee bit to make it wall to wall.
Bought the radiant barrier as seconds online for less than half the price of "new" from same company and less than 1/4 at Lowes or HD. Plus, 4X as much in one package as HD or Lowes.
Used up some styrofoam insulation left over from having the house sided.
Am going to use the rest of the fiberglass insulation in odd spots in the house.
Bought used railroad ties on the cheap for around the building and my cousin is using up scrap wood we've had around to finish out the trim around the windows inside.
The electrician is using up left overs from other builds to wire the shed (work shop).
I've recycled and/or reused every bit of 90% of the waste from the project, so that all of our efforts of tricking it out add up to less than 4 1-gallon paint cans of trash.
I have found that drywall is just calcium and magnesium - which, when burned with wood, will pulverize very easily. This makes adding it to the calcium depleted soil of acid-rain saturated NYS far easier than it otherwise would have been. I'm in no hurry, so will merely add it to our wood stove when we burn it this winter.
Am using 1 of the left over windows, cat food cans and scrap wood to make a solar heater for the shed - will lessen any costs we might incur for heating with whatever heat source we decide on.
Am also going to make some "solar shades" out of some weedblock I refuse to use that my dad refuses to take back to the store. 2 windows are southerly enough to gain a good amount of heat from them, to lessen heat costs out there even more.
So - life is good!
Hard work, a little patience and ingenuity make for a very minimal waste stream, for those willing to take 10 minutes to bother.
L

8/25 Just got our utility bill. I'm astounded. We used half the electricity of the same period last year. Last year was, on average, 1 degree warmer, BUT - this year we used AC much more.

First, Mom can no longer tolerate the heat due to her heart attack in March. Dad hasn't been able to tolerate it for a couple of years. So the downstairs window unit was set 2 degrees lower, and both of their rooms have window units and have been used quite a bit.

The only thing different in the way of energy saving measures was the addition of "solar curtains". They're in just about every junk catalog out there - 1 has different sizes, 1 sells them singularly, but all identical in construction. Mylar-type stuff. You can see through them some, but they reflect heat both out and in. So, winter they reflect heat back in, summer, heat back out.

The reflective barrior I put in just one of 3 crawl spaces (haven't gotten to the others yet) was only put in 2 weeks ago, so I doubt highly it had this much impact.

And yes, it was an actual reading, not estimated.

I am totally amazed. Those things cost me $5 each. I have them on only 4 of 17 windows.

http://www.shoppicketfence.com/product.asp?pn=512038
Picket Fence has them in pairs - but only one size.
http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail&seq_no=2&min_seq_no=402&SingleItem=29017
Carol Wright Gifts have them singularly and in a multitude of sizes.
I've ordered more for winter. They work to reflect heat BACK into the home in the winter as well as the reflect heat out in the summer.



8/20 I have found different information that I find incredibly interesting - like the amount of energy saved by processing your own vegetables for use over the year.

My family has always done this, coming from a quasi-farming background. I had left this practice behind during my gyspy days - moving every 14 months for about 10 years. Now that I'm back in a less mobile situation, I'm getting back into preserving our own food.

I researched this and found you use at least 2/3 less energy by either growing or buying your own produce locally and processing it yourself. WOW. http://kermitsteam.blogspot.com/2007/08/process-your-own-food.html

I have made 5 batches of jam so far - only 1 more batch to go. My mother and I canned about 1/3 of a bushel of peaches (the rest of the 1/2 bushel were used for pies and jam) yesterday. And today we froze corn.

Get this - $12 for 5 dozen ears. Less than 2 hours to husk, blanch, cut off the cobs and put into containers. Even if cold water and the gas stove cost $5, consider the savings. We got 28 pints (a pint a pound, the world around) out of the deal. Just a smidge over 2 ears per pint. $.61 per pint.

How much does it cost in the stores? How chalky and pasty does it taste? How much true nutrition do you get? It was picked this morning, processed within 3 hours of it being picked, tastes INCREDIBLE (NYS corn is the bomb!), is far more nutritious than anything in the stores (they add stuff to keep it from clumping when frozen) and price - you can't beat the price.

So - read the article. Think about it. Farmer's Markets are stocked to the gills right now. Many stores carry GOOD corn as a lost leader, and you can also do string beans, tomatoes (your own spaghetti sauce!) summer squash, beets, greens and any other veggie you consider a favorite.

And I may be some sort of garden nerd, but it's a lot of fun doing.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home