The Spiraling Homestead

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April Update

Hey folks.

I'm changing the format a little. Since I'm unable to keep up on the blog as I would prefer, I'm not having an index. It's misleading at best.

I'll still update each of the weekly features as I'm able. twice monthly seems to be the best I can do at the moment. Will strive for better.

I just updated the Live Earth page, the Grist page; created one for cleaning supplies, one for the WE campaign of Al Gore's and Live Earth, and one about invasive and native species - since we're all out doing our spring cleaning by now. I'm hoping to update the GreenTech page tomorrow.

In the very near future, I hope to research and post a page on Green Weddings. I still have a goal of holiday and special day ways to green up. At some point in time I'll get to it. If someone else wants to take up the torch, please let me know! I'll add you as a contributor so you can post the information.

My current list of outdoor projects needing and wanting to be done is epic in nature. (Parden the pun). I have so many things to do that I am just about stalled from being overwhelmed. However, considering last year on the date we had a major snow storm, I can't argue how much I have gotten done thus far, and am encouraged by that thought.

We have brought a maple tree down (red maple to be specific) through the barter system with a local company, and am in the process of cleaning the brush. We will be using the wood for our high efficiency wood-burner and the brush is being broken into small pieces and placed at the back of our lot. Consider it lightening bug food. My dad sold our chipper/shredder without knowledge and consent of the co-owners within the family, so it's a manual project. That's not bad. I'll live.

I have finished the raking and deadheading the backyard flower beds. There are 8 separate 'regions' of beds. One is almost totally weeded and edged, while the others are weeded partially. I still have some major transplantation to do since last year's arrangement didn't suit all who live here. But, with the plants being small, it should go quickly.

I am hoping to get much of the side yard completed tomorrow. That has 5 beds in it, with a great deal being added soon. I'm hoping to have almost all grass out of there by year's end. Ha!

I have 1 bed to create. I have 2 plum bushes, a josta berry vine and some ornamental hops coming to go around a work shed we constructed last year. I also have THE coolest rain barrel to put out by that shed and hook up to it's gutter system. Then, more major transplantation to that bed and others around the yard.

And finally, have to clean up 1 very long bed between us and our neighbors - a church.

So, with my disability, it makes life interesting and exhausting. I told my family that I will be exhausted until September, so please be patient with me. It may actually last until October or later, depending on how long it stays above 50.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home