The Spiraling Homestead

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Heptillion Factor

Heptillion! If I'm right, that's 1 x 10 to the 13th!

Why am I so aghast at heptillion?

Aphids. 1 aphid, along with its following generations, can equal 1 heptillion in a season. Holy Shamoly!

I just read this last night in my Organic Gardening mag. Today, I went out to do some heavy duty pruning on my Korean Spice Viburnum. And what does it have? Aphids!

Heptillion!

I pruned most of the aphids off anyway, but then blasted the bush with water about 3 times over.

Heptillion!

One of my chickadees was watching from a nearby tree.

Heptillion honey! You'd never go hungry! Eat them! Eat the aphids! Heptillion!

The wild part is, if they get knocked off their host plant, they'll most likely starve before they find a new host plant. This is why a good blast of water is so effective.

Heptillion!

They birth live aphids - 3 or 4 a day! And they're already full of aphids to give birth to as soon as they mature.

Heptillion!

If you haven't guessed, it's a new found respect.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home