The Spiraling Homestead

Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Can Be Even Greener


I've got another post on a Green Christmas, but never completed it.
With more and more focus on being "green", the information is coming to me rather than me hunting it down.

This Old House remains in the former economic life with their purchase ideas for decorating.
However, most of the things they show are just as easily made at home!

One idea that I wouldn't buy, but is certainly a great idea - You can also spring for the completely awesome blooming gift wrap (shown, above): attractive biodegradable papers embedded with wildflower seeds your loved ones can literally plant come spring.

Buy Locally
It's just another facet of the "locavore" movement

Buy Nothing
A Canadian Mennonite Initiative!

More Ideas From the UK

Holiday Office Parties You may find one sentance of this article offensive, but it's a worthwhile read.

We use a lot of gift bags - and reuse and reuse and reuse...Here are some ideas for you to try

My Experience
All my life I've made at least some of the gifts I've given to people. Most of the time, I have made them all, but there are times when you just see the perfect gift and there's no way you can make it.
However, all too often, the simple things are the best.

Pot holders - every few years I give potholder that I've made out of old jeans. People love them, they're fire resistant, difficult to destroy, fun, and I'm reusing fabric that wouldn't otherwise get a second lease on life.




Quilts - this isn't something just anyone can do, but it's an idea. I am a scrap quilter - so I use mostly old clothing, but also use scraps of fabric from other quilters who hate saving the bits and pieces. It's rare that I have to buy any fabric.

Christmas Ornaments - bead them, paint them, even wax ones - they're a trick to make, but a cherished for generations.

I used to knit, embroider, and all sorts of other crafts to make useable items, but I haven't done that in quite awhile.

Food - I make pickles, jam, jelly, and applesauce which I give to folks who don't do those things. It makes for a luscious present! I also bake Christmas cookies - the old fashioned ones like macaroons, London short bread, date bars, etc. It's a classic gift that people always love.


Napkins - This year I've made napkins for some. This way they save money on buying paper ones, I get rid of a lot of fabric that I don't have room for, and no trees were cut down. They're fun because they're all different, and rather then hemming them with a basic straight stitch, I use all of the fancy shmancy ones on my sewing machine to make them all more interesting.


Stockings - last year I made 6 stockings for 2 families I'm helping to recover from Katrina. I made them in the same style my great-aunt made our family's. The children will cherish them for years, rather than buying new ones each and every year - foolish! The ones I made are the 4 on the right.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home