The Spiraling Homestead

Friday, April 10, 2009

Name Change

I've changed the name, even though the address is the same. To protect the innocent? Ha! No innocence here.

Since becoming disabled 8 years ago this July, I've searched for a way to be independent. It's not easy since I have to be able to fit a day's worth of work into 3 hours or less, but this little obstacle doesn't stop me. It just makes me work to be more efficient.

About 2 years ago, I finally realized that I *like* living so simply. I've never been one to enjoy luxury of any sort - some even call me spartan. Years ago, my sister got me cable so she could watch when she visits. I would probably be without a TV if it were up to me. It used to be a great plant stand and that was it.

But truly, having a veggie garden, having a small orchard of fruit trees and bushes really makes me happy. Making the house as energy efficient as I can to cut down on monthly bills, really working with the wood stove for maximum whole-house heating are fun. They are challenges that take time to overcome, just like my disability.

And what is my disability? Vertigo. Vestibular Neuritis to be specific. I'm one of 2% of people who get it to become permanently disabled by it. I'd rather win the lottery, but this will have to do for now.

So, I'm working on making this 1-acre plot of my parents' into a homestead. And since I'm always spinning, it is the Spiraling Homestead. I like it!

My brother and his wife have green houses and chickens to sell their wares at a local farmer's market. I did some research and found out I can bake and cook certain things to also sell at the market to enhance their stall. And since I raise much of what I'd be using, it makes the effort about as local as possible. It also makes it cheaper for me and will create a better cash flow to give to the parents.

Most of all, it gives me hope. Hope that I can live on my own again someday. Hope that my example will inspire others to simplify their lives, even just a little. Hope that we may yet not destroy the earth. I do believe the earth will survive - it's humans that won't. And a host of other animals. So I'd like to think we can get ourselves out of this pickle and if me gettig disabled makes it so I convert to the simpler life, well I guess that's not so bad.

So hopefully this blog will be a bit more active. I will be posting ideas and articles like I have in the past, but will also post more about daily life and opinions - of which I have many - in hopes of helping others make the conversion a little easier.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home