The Spiraling Homestead

Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Reason I'm Absent


It's been one of those months. I just think I'm catching up or even getting ahead and a crisis hits.

My dad fell onto the deck from tripping on a badly laid stone in a gravel walk. So - I've been reworking the walk so that it's as level as possible, with steps built in, and all stone rather than gravel and large stones. I'll be filling in with mortar once the hand rails are in and the edging is in. Hopefully the hand rails will be in tomorrow and the edging started. We can only hope!

The first picture is the initial layout of the longest stretch of the walk.


This second pictures is looking from the deck toward the beginning of the walk


The third picture is looking from the second step of the walk, out toward the longest stretch of the walk.


This final picture is of the final step of the day, leading to the 2 concrete steps to access the neighboring parking lot.

The grinding wheels are the center line of the walk, and were my grandfather's when he was alive. He literally worked in his machine shop until the day he died.


The final aspect of this project will be installing hand rails at each step - 3 new and 2 old, edging so the stones stay in place - I had to raise the entire walk several inches to allow for the leveling process. So, in order for the stones to remain where they are and not migrate, I have to edge it somehow. After those 2 little tidbits are finished, the sand can be watered into to place to make it as firm as possible, and the mortar can be poured in, with another good soaking to work it into all of the nooks and crannies to truly hold the stones in place.

All of the stones were already on the property, and so was just a matter of finding them, pulling them out and setting them in place to the best of their abilities.

I'll need this completed in the next few days since I have another huge project looming that I need to do a fair amount of prep work for - tons of trees being felled by some professionals, and then my sister and I working on them to clean the area up. Joy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home