The Spiraling Homestead

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

12 Days of Christmas Cookies

I've pooped out at day 7. LOL Oh well.

If I had been able to keep going, what great Xmas presents! Which is, actually, the reason I make them all.

Date bars - my personal favorite. They are dates, pecans, a little flour, egg and sugar and that's it. Wonderful cookies! If you like, you can roll them in powdered sugar, but it isn't required.

London Short Bread - sort of a sugar cookie, but not that much sugar. Butter, egg, flour, corn starch and sugar.

Nut balls - folks laugh. I don't care what they're called. They're delicious as well. Pecans, butter, flour. Roll in powdered sugar.

Kiss cookies - I love them. They're a little crisp - I was tired making them. Chocolate chip cookie dough without the chocolate chips. I put regular kisses and the cherry cordial kisses on this time. I do hate the individual wrapping, which is why I don't make them every year.

Muffins - this year saw apple, cran-orange and blueberry.

Peanut Butter cookies - still have to make these.

Welsh Cakes - ahhh - another most haven't heard of. Very simple - griddle cookies. You use dried fruit - currants are the traditional, flour, sugar, egg. Roll them out, cut them with a biscuit cutter and flop onto your griddle. Simple. Not too sweet. Just right. I made blueberry, cranberry, and currant.

And while there is significant effort involved, the amount of money is minimal for the amount of joy they bring. I give them to friends and family alike, for so many don't take the time anymore.

Did you know that even doing all of this labor yourself, and using your oven daily, you are still saving an incredible amount of energy, rather than buying premade cookies? Think of the shipment of ingredients, the industrial energy consumed in preparing them, the packaging - the making of the packaging, the shipping to the store, you buying, reboxing and giving out.

Making them yourself is far better for the earth, and your soul! It's wonderful therapy to create so much joy with such simple measures.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home