The Spiraling Homestead

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Utility Bills

I can't imagine how people bordering on poverty are making it! I also can't understand the government's claim that no more people have fallen into poverty this past year.

For the last 2 years, I've paid our utility bills. I finally got my finances straightened out enough to take over that largest bill of the house.

Since I've been home (7 years), I've worked to make the house more energy efficient. I've strived to shave 5% off both gas and electric each year. You can imagine this might be difficult!

However, in THIS house, it has been rather easy. In fact, I'll be able to continue that trend for at least 2 more years, and all with simple changes. Some have cost, but have been simple.

Since 2004, our natural gas use has decreased by 50%, and electric by 40%. This last year has seen a drop of natural gas by 6% and electric by 11%.

More insulation in the walls, new siding, a new roof, new stove, new dishwasher, new washing machine, new freezer and some recently added insulation to the roof line have all added up to huge savings. Each new appliance has paid for itself in its savings, especially at today's prices.

The numbers for 2008 are horrifying. Since January, here in NYS, natural gas prices have tripled, electric has jumped 67%. Most families look forward to the summer as a reprieve from high utility costs. But with increases like these, they've not seen their bills go down and may have actually seen them go up. Can you imagine the panic they must be feeling knowing the worst is yet to come in a heating season that's only a few weeks away?

I can not imagine.

I still have much work to do in this house. Still simple, only 1 expensive purchase left, and some good old fashioned hard work to keep making a 150 year old house more energy efficient.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home